Thread: FM3-24 and FM90-8

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

From Bruz,

The military today (a few at least) accept counter-insurgency being more than just military business, however the military gets all the money and still runs the show (Iraq: MNF-I; Afghanistan: ISAF) while continuing to neglect the more important parts (economic, social and political parts of counterinsurgency) of counter-insurgency. That's simply because military generals usually don't want to share authority and/or command.
    I don't know Bruz - that makes the assumption that military generals are "all powerful". This is why the Inter-Agency debate is so hot right now - and also why AMB Crocker was right beside GEN Petraeus in testimony. Right down to who train HN police vs. HN soldiers has its own friction along with who mans the PRTs etc. Could we place more importance and perhaps work the coordination and synchronization better - yes - I think we have GOs like LTG Chiarelli, GEN Mattis, and GEN Petraeus who have provided us a pretty good model of using their authorities to do so (and yes there are probably some GOs who could have done more by comparison), however to realize the full potential of employing all the elements of power toward SSTRO objectives is beyond the title authorities military leadership are confined to.

Best Regards, Rob
    Last edited by Steve Blair; 09-24-2007 at 03:45 PM. Reason: fixed quotes