" It seems quite the project to get religious tolerance and religious liberty in place when a conflict presents all sorts of obstacles, including foundational ones, in the way." (Tom OC)

I would add " and the ability to manipulate both " after the words "religious liberty" in the above quote. COIN attaches theory to the method at times ex post facto, born of necessity on the street. COIN advocates the mundane, that the interpretation of radical Islam is not the rationale and justification for insurgency and terrorism, but rather insurgency/terrorism is naught but a grab for power, wealth and social control. This exposes the likes of AQ as common thugs and criminals but in so doing, it makes the ju-ju mundane, not the go-between. The more COIN can apply 'Islam' in its tactics and strategy, the more successful they can be but that path is fraught with moral, political and spiritual implications and unanswered questions. The most successful COIN men in our history were the mountain men/trappers but they assumed in large part Indian identities and lived the lifestyle.

To end my rambling, I would say the spiritual mind will never exhaust itself given the abundance of variation and deviation in traditional and non-traditional approaches to spirituality and new sects and intpretations continue to crop up. Wicca and paganism for instance saw a whole plethora of intepretations once they became born again, no pun intended.