Thread: Who are the great generals?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by tequila View Post
    I myself am not a big believer in the glory of last stands.
    You will never get an argument from me on that point! Remember the words of George Patton: let the other guy die. Enough human mistakes in judgment were made that day-- and the days before-- to negate the finest tactics of God.

Steve--

I agree with you on a couple of points: your first paragraph is absolutely correct and you are generally correct about Custer's tactics on the frontier. Division of force was an acceptable doctrine because of the way the Indians fought. Custer's understanding of the Indians led him to employ those tactics more than once. His rigidity in the employment of those tactics and that supposed understanding-- his refusal to accept any other behavior or pattern-- were his downfall.

I do not agree with you, however, about his early demise or his brother carrying the body hither and yon. That particular scenario has brought more consternation to the study of the battle than almost any other and does not fit with either the troop dispositions or the timing involved in the battle. It also leads to-- and this is not a criticism of your ideas, so please, don't take it the wrong way-- something of a denigration of the abilities of Custer's officers, namely Keogh, Yates, Smith, and Custer's own brother.

Also, in my estimation, the idea that the command was "green," has been overplayed. While I completely agree with you about the regiment's reputation, the unit was staffed with many fine officers and NCOs and the command that crossed the Rosebud-Little Big Horn divide on June 25, 1876, had precisely 9 men with less than 6 months service, none of whom rode with the two battalions wiped out with Custer. 51.7% of the Seventh Cavalry had between 1 and 5 years service and 30.1% more than 5 years. More than 1/3 of the men left behind at a supply depot had less than 6 months service, so in that regard, you are correct. Those men, however, never saw battle.

The "myth" of "last stands" tends to swing into hyperbole and I believe the "They Died With Their Boots On" last stands are fiction. While this might smack our army in the face, I think there was probably more panic than "glory" as the day wore on.

Best wishes,
    Fred.
    Last edited by Fred III; 10-11-2007 at 01:20 PM.