Thread: Who are the great generals?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Odom View Post
    The first quote that you have is from Lord's book, the pages I cited. It discusses razing versus not defending.

The second is interesting. Funny that you quote him and then use another source to dispute him.

But in the end, the fight for the Alamo while a great motivator was a tactical mistake which Houston was against. The loss of the Goliad garrison was a parallel--all related to Houston's warning against fixed positions against a larger army with a commander who did not care about casualties.

You have your opinion, I have mine.

Best

Tom
    Don't cop out just yet, Tom. I'm no monument to justice or reading anything I dispute out of context. I didn't take it from Lord's book. I took from the link I posted. The first quote may have originated from your book but why does it state the governor apparently did not approve the order? Was that in Lord's book as well? The second quote wasn't to dispute or disagree. Just merely showing that the subject you brought up is contested as well as your source. I'll read Lord's book. I won't go so far as to have contempt prior to investigation. But I don't think the Historian forum is the place for the, lets agree to disagree bug-a-boo. We might give some kid the wrong idea about what history is supposed to be about. Which, is the truth.

Like you stated earlier. This will go no where. But please don't talk out loud about the subject while in the Alamo and for God's sake, remember to take your hat off before you go inside.

Check out the "(Across Houston)" on the plaque. Probably someone's idea of sick joke or something.
    Last edited by Culpeper; 10-13-2007 at 02:39 AM.
    "But suppose everybody on our side felt that way?"
    "Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way. Wouldn't I?"