Hey Paul,

Quote Originally Posted by nichols View Post
How many signatures are on a visa?
The answer is none ! The foil contains typical info about the traveler along with a digital photo.

The forms used for processing US Visas (DS-156 for non-immigrant visas and in addition DS-157 for all men, ages 16 to 45) can have as many as 5 signatories. The host government's MFA plays an important role and may also provide a signature, but rarely does.

The counselor is on the hook as Brian puts it, regardless of how many people are in the chain or process.

Hey Brian,

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hanley View Post
My days in the caucasus are barely over. Just shut down end of 2005.

What I'm telling you about corruption and visas is my experience based on pricing I acquired in the FSU. Now I hung with some interesting folks at times, but I ain't making it up.
So these people that you are referring to, bought their US Visas as late as 2005 ? I remain concerned that these typical everyday Russian citizens are still illegally obtaining US Visas.

It's not my job to report that kind of stuff, and yes, I know how much of a battle it is to get anyone at the embassy to listen. We Americans want red hot proof and unequivocal evidence. All very tiresome and dangerous as hell to someone in country and to those who remain behind. We Americans are experts in bureaucratic form over substance these days. It's a problem and it's a weakness that most definitely is exploited. Just because 4 signatures are required doesn't mean that each signatory examines them for accuracy better.
Paul and I were thinking about reporting these instances a lot higher than the very same Embassy where visas are being sold. Quite frankly, reporting such instances is every American's job.

Such an 'exploitable area of the US Embassy in Moscow' should not be permitted to continue.

Come, come. You all are in the military bureaucracy. Never gotten a signature on something your boss didn't read through?
That's barely a good comparison to selling US Visas to 'perfectly normal Russians'. If they can't get the visa in a legal fashion, then there's obviously a reason why.