WM said:
We have pushed much of what used to be a division-level function down to the BCTs, Bde-level work has devolved to the Bn TOC, and a company has now become a defacto Bn with regard to certain staff functions/size of its AO. Companies in the AOR seem to operate rather independently and, despite the promise of a "netcentric push" of intel, they need situational awareness (SA) assets to keep their heads (and tails) orientated properly.
To which I'd respond that the 'Division' idea only really worked two places -- in garrison around the world; and in combat ONLY in the desert (North Africa WW II, DS/DS and OIF I); the rest of the time from the revolution forward we have, regardless of the existence of Divisions essentially fought as Regiments, RCTs or Bdes -- so what we really did was not a push down; it was simply an alignment of resources to the proper working level. Long overdue. I'd further suggest the only reason the Division still exists is to justify a slew of MG and BG spaces.

Companies should have been de-facto bns (in the sense I think you mean) many years ago and should be even more independent that they now are.

I think Tom expresses it well.