Hmmm.... I've thought about this one all day. I think you got it about right, whether encouraged or not, the 4ID has been self-described by some as acting like thugs in OIF I. I also think it fair to say that for any number of reasons, 4ID was not successful.

Just came off a visit to FT Hood, and the damn near unanimous opinion is that LTG O walks on water, is thoughtful, inclusive, and "just gets it man"

Pretty high praise, and tough to argue with results.

As for the appearant shift... whose to say, it'd be a great book. I think you can surmise, however, that the first experience caused him to reflect - consider how he might improve... The man and his family have sacrificed greatly in this war -- makes a smart man think.

I probably was still a skeptic until I talked with the folks who worked for the man. This is a damn good choice, because for all the hulking physical intimidation... He's a known commodity in Iraq with all important personal connections... and the commodity he's best known for is being tough in pinch... a good guy to have in the foxhole when the sh!t hits the fan.

Live well and row