Quote Originally Posted by Steve Blair View Post
Slap,

If you're talking about the Rand report on air campaign planning, it's still available.

Steve, I don't think that is the one. This one was produced at the Air War college by some instructors.

Wilf, check your email for a 5 rings analysis of a Soviet Fuel Depot

Bill Moore wrote:
While targeting important individuals and resources is still an important line of operation, it is a supporting line of effort, it should not be the main effort. The main effort should be focused on changing the environment so the insurgents can't survive there. If you focus on making the environment hostile to them by using good ole COIN doctrine which involves protecting the populace so the insurgents can't coerce support, fixing government problems to undermine whatever cause the insurgents may have, and establishing capable security forces at the local level that can collect and respond to intelligence rapidly (they're the ones who fix and finish the enemy).

Bill,that is systems thinking at it's best. Almost a perfect 5 rings analysis to.

Ring5 is the insurgency and you go Kill or capture or convert them. Ring 4 are the various population groups you want to protect. Ring 3 is the physical infrastructure you want to protect and/or build. Ring 2 is the counter process you use to undermine the insurgency. Ring 1 is the leaders and leadership systems you want in place when you leave. Killcullen has written various papers about using the systems thinking approach to COIN. Some are in the SWC library if I am not mistaken.

Now for my case of beer. I don't drink that much but I do like Corona's very,very cold with a small piece of lime pushed into the bottle. My association with SF when I was in the service allowed me to find out many of you guys cook a mean steak and or hamburger. So a Corona and a steak will work or should we ever meet you get the beer and I will get the steak

Now for the answer..... Che Guevara-Bolivia-1966. The closest thing to a silver bullet theory I have seen. Combination of CIA-SF-Local forces to get him. And there is an important lesson there...the sooner you act against an insurgency the easier they are to deal with. If UBL had been killed when he first started his crap we wouldn't be doing what we are doing now. But as COIN theory points out many Insurgencies are not recognized and or dealt with by Governments until they are well developed. It which case you will have to deal with a whole and much larger system then just a single individual or small group.

Later Slap