Thread: Classic Principles of War

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Question, Bill. I agree with what you say

but do have one comment and a question for clarification. Question first:
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    ...Surprise: Strike the enemy at a time, at a place, or in a manner for which he is unprepared. Important at the tactical level, but arguments could be made that transparency is more importanat at the operational/strategic level. (emphasis added /kw)
    Sorry, I'm old and slow. I don't know what you mean by the highlighted comment???
    Security: Never permit the enemy to acquire an unexpected advantage. We initially violated this principle in OIF, still don't have a handle on it in OEF-A.
    Just an observation; I'm not at all sure that the enemy advantages in either theater were or are unexpected; I'd submit we were -- and more damningly, are -- too big, bureaucratic and inflexible to react to and / or pre-empt them...

There are some exceptions to that generalization, fortunately. Not enough, unfortunately.

Added item of commentary for Ol' Wilf:
    Mass: Concentrate combat power at the decisive place and time. This can be interpreted to mesh with irregular warfare, especially if you extend the time factor to months and years, and change combat power to security forces.
    While I broadly agree with you on the concept of principles, they are useful for some to organize thoughts. There are, as you noted, several such lists of varying utility. In any event, in US practice, 'Mass' is generally construed, usefully I think, as Bill stated it in that quote. ADDED: Wilf posted his acknowledgment of Bill's comment while I was typing...
    Last edited by Ken White; 11-11-2008 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Addendum