Quote Originally Posted by reed11b View Post
Vet Center counselors are almost all combat vets. I am a combat vet. Yes, some soldiers readjust w/o therapy, but some do not. Disparaging the men and women who have chosen to serve twice to be available to help you is counter-productive and you are going to succeed in setting me off if you keep up your current rants. It is ok to get help, confidential help from been-there-done-that types that also have educated themselves on how to be a professional counselor, and suggesting that anyone that seeks that help is crybaby i.e.
is complete and total Bravo Sierra and you should be embarrassed to have suggested it, period. That soldier that fought back from losing a limb had a dedicated team of doctors, therapists and medical aides fighting along-side him step for step and soldiers that have psychological wounds deserve the same level of support.
One P.O.ed Reed
The counselors at the VA near Leavenworth must be veterans of the Indian Army then, since they're definitely not US nationals. And they treat the soldiers like ####, as well.

In my experience, nearly losing a limb, and having an undiagnosed major brain trauma/personality change, I find that recovery is 90% or more on the dude with the wounds. And victims are victims. No matter how much you try to help them, they will always wallow in their own misery.

I think you overestimate the impact you actually have as a counselor. Most of the enthusiastic counselors I have met are the same way. Hyper-inflated ego and unreasonable self-image is probably the most prevalent symptom among medical/mental health personnel.