Quote Originally Posted by Marauder Doc View Post
I gotta ask, just to throw it out there, Advisory Branch? Is there any other way to cement a capability in the long term, other than to develop an officer corps that will advocate on its behalf?
I can't speak as to how the US Forces as a whole view this, but from a UK informed perspective, why do you need it?

The capability is theatre and operation specific. The UK forms British Army Advisory and Training Teams (BAATTs) as and when required. Works well with a long track record of historic success. Not perfect, but certainly fit for purpose. Every Army Officer and NCO is a de-facto instructor. Their job is to train their units.

Now for those that go "oh but what about culture," what about it? Many cultures have things in their make-up that bar them from "best practice." These are generally well known, pretty well understood and not a mystery to get past.

Moreover, to my mind you have an Advisory Corps. It's called Special Forces, and they should be the repository of things that go beyond the conventional understanding of the military instrument. That's why they are Special.