Here's an interesting, and tangentially related story:

http://www.armytimes.com/news/...nseling_army_011209/

WASHINGTON — Army leaders are proposing to end a longtime policy that requires a commanding officer be notified when a soldier voluntarily seeks counseling in hopes of encouraging more GIs to seek aid, according to Army Secretary Pete Geren.

The potential move comes as combat deployments have been linked with increased alcohol abuse, and the Army Substance Abuse Program is straining to keep pace.

The proposal being worked out between Army personnel and medical commanders is “an important part of a comprehensive effort to reduce the stigma associated with seeking mental health care and to encourage more soldiers to seek treatment,” Geren says in a statement to USA TODAY on Friday.
While this appears to only affect ASAP, I'm wondering what effect it will have on other mental health counselling systems. My beef with ASAP is similar with my beef with mental health counselling: There is just too many negative consequences for reporting, and the system is too formalized.

I once had a soldier who drank three beers and then lay down on his bunk to sleep. The window over his bunk was shattered by a rock thrown by persons unknown, and he was cut by the falling glass. Because he was sleeping off the beers, this was classified as an alcohol-related event and he was mandatory-referred to ASAP. Otherwise, he was a terrific soldier.