Thread: US Engagement with Religion in Conflict-Prone Settings

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Default Plaines d'Abraham 2009 - and

Ste.-Foy (and the Windmill) 2010 - so that Marc and I can go to St.-Augustin, have a beer and toast our ancestors - But also,

Of the two battles, Ste.-Foy was more important to the future of modern Canada because it created something of a balance between the Brits and the Frogs. Both could and can say - "we won that one".

Which brings me to the point that the Brit occupation and "pacification" of Canada is a case study in avoiding an insurgency - and, in fact, bringing potential insurgents into the counter-insurgency camp. What the Brits did and did not do to accomplish that - in the face of divergent political and religious institutions - is worth some consideration.

I think that they did it right - not perfectly, but right. Marc can expound on this (we have in an older thread) from a Brit viewpoint - after all, you guys "won". But, as it developed, we can say "Colonialement" to our Scots adversaries. In Ken's terms, the two communities found it better to set aside their political and religious differences.

I (like the Société généalogique canadienne-française (SGCF) in its Projet Montcalm) clearly have a different view of these battles than Mr. Wooten.

En effet, sur ce lieu se sont déroulés, il y a tout près de 250 ans, deux affrontements importants de la guerre de Sept Ans, soit la bataille des plaines d’Abraham, le 13 septembre 1759, opposant l’armée française - dirigée par le marquis de Montcalm – et l’armée britannique – menée par le général James Wolfe ainsi que la bataille de Sainte-Foy, le 28 avril 1760, opposant les deux mêmes armées, cette fois dirigées par le chevalier de Lévis et le général James Murray.
    C’est pourquoi, elle entend organiser, le dimanche 13 septembre 2009, sur les plaines d’Abraham, un rassemblement des descendants patronymiques des militaires qui composaient alors les armées française et britannique ainsi que des descendants des miliciens et amérindiens ayant combattu, en alliés, aux côtés de ces armées.
    Last edited by jmm99; 01-26-2009 at 09:08 PM. Reason: add link