Quote Originally Posted by jmm99 View Post
Ste.-Foy (and the Windmill) 2010 - so that Marc and I can go to St.-Augustin, have a beer and toast our ancestors - But also,

Of the two battles, Ste.-Foy was more important to the future of modern Canada because it created something of a balance between the Brits and the Frogs. Both could and can say - "we won that one".
Definitely important . One of the students I'm supervising had an ancestor at the Windmill and one of my ancestors was there as well. We were out after class one night hoisting a few with some other students, and the look of incredulity when we both started talking about it on the face of one student from the Middle East was really hilarious . He just couldn't understand why we were drinking and joking together.

Which brings me to the point that the Brit occupation and "pacification" of Canada is a case study in avoiding an insurgency - and, in fact, bringing potential insurgents into the counter-insurgency camp. What the Brits did and did not do to accomplish that - in the face of divergent political and religious institutions - is worth some consideration.
Agreed. That "pacification", and I'm STILL wondering who just who got "pacified", laid the basis for one of the core components of Canadian culture that is still a focal point today. What always amazed me about it was that the Catholics (and Catholic Church) in Quebec had exactly the same rights as everyone else - a situation unique in the British Imperium at the time.

I think that they did it right - not perfectly, but right. Marc can expound on this (we have in an older thread) from a Brit viewpoint - after all, you guys "won". But, as it developed, we can say "Colonialement" to our Scots adversaries. In Ken's terms, the two communities found it better to set aside their political and religious differences.
We could just link through to it, rather than rewriting it . Yeah, I think we did a lot pretty well. And, when you get right down to it, the gender imbalance didn't hurt either .