I think we're largely in agreement and you raise a few more good points.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
I'm thinking of the change to AR 190-11 years ago that said all vehicles carrying ammunition had to have an armed SFC or higher aboard.
I recall getting a call one night when I was acting S-3 (in garrison) because our hand grenades were dropped off at the range on the night prior to training. The problem was that the Soldiers who signed for the pallet and were assigned to "guard" the pallet did not have a weapon or ammo - a regulation that I either overlooked or was not aware of. I responded to the staff duty officer: "of course they have an armed guard. The guards are armed with hand grenades." I then quickly hung up.

Brigade mulled for 2 hours over whether it was acceptable that the guy be armed with frags. That was enough time for us to open the arms room, obtain a weapon and some ammo, and send it out to the guys guarding the frags. In hindsight, I guess it makes sense to guard a pallet of frags, but I'd spent the previous 3 out of 4 years in places other than garrison and I just wasn't well versed on regs.