Quote Originally Posted by Schmedlap View Post
I think we're largely in agreement and you raise a few more good points.
On the agreement; points may be good or not -- all learned the hard way...
I responded to the staff duty officer: "of course they have an armed guard. The guards are armed with hand grenades." I then quickly hung up....I'd spent the previous 3 out of 4 years in places other than garrison and I just wasn't well versed on regs.
Good Job! Who can be well versed on Regs. Penalty of hiring civilians to write them; once you hire 'em, you can't fire 'em and they have to have SOMETHING to do -- so they rewrite Regs. Dumb.

My pet was a one page -- one sentence, actually -- change to FM 21-75 that came out of Benning in the late 80s or early 90s. Sayeth: "Patrol is a verb, the word will not be used to name an operational element."

I'm still a strong devotee of the dictum "Regulations were meant to be intelligently disregarded." Dangerous attitude in this age but that's only because DA and DoD have been at peace since 1947. Yeah, I know -- but they don't or, well, too many up there forget too often...

Not a big prob; the guys on the ground make it work in spite of things on high, they always have and by far the largest majority mean well, do well and make up for the slackness here and there.