Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
I would suggest that we minimize this dude as a traitor and murderer. If we overeact and tighten security measures on bases, start broadcasting that soldiers are victims, or change policy in A'stan/Iraq, then he wins.

The best thing we can do is mourn the victims, praise the first responders as heroes, and get back to our normal lives.

Mike
Mike: I hesitated to comment in the forum because I'm not sure what words are really best.

I have a few questions.

1. What is the correct leadership response? Isn't it possible that the Soldiers who were in the room and were shot at might need or want some time or help to heal emotionally before deploying to Iraq, or just Soldiering on?

2. How will the Army investigate itself about the career track of the shooter? Was the investment of tax dollars in his training and education worth the risk of keeping him in if there were any signs of trouble?

I grieve what's happened at Hood. It's obviously shocked a lot of people that a brother could kill his own. To be honest, I went through the grieving stages a while ago when these mass shootings started, especially at places like schools where classmates can kill people they sit side by side with on a daily basis. The response is usually more security, when I believe it's about individuals listening and paying more attention to their gut instincts. How can that be taught so people aren't just filed through the system if there are red flags?

One thing that has struck me as a civilian with no prior military experience is the assumption from military personnel, especially if they've lived most of their lives on Army posts, that civilians aren't used to being shot at or that we're so different we don't know how to be empathetic about their combat experience, for those in the military who have combat experience.