I think these posts (along with this post and any that follow on the same topic):

this is classic "motivation"

Motivation vs Causation

Line up your insurgencies...

As Paul Harvey used to say, "The rest of the story..."

E= MC2 is simple

Slapout9 (untitled)

Funny....Money

should be moved to a new thread cuz they are beyond the scope of this thread's topic. Perhaps this post's heading (Motivation vs Causation; Theory and Practice) could title the new thread. But, that's up to the Powers That Move Things.

I believe it would be worthwhile cuz this discussion has been going on (in one form or the other) for better than a year - the Eagle Landed here in Nov 2008.

The American Revolution and Vietnam seem to me excellent contexts in which to frame the discussion: both were major events (a complex of conventional and unconventional warfare); a lot will be known to members here; and as past events, we don't have to worry about OpSec and other current considerations.

Without answering (yet) prior posts, I am coming at this from the following basic levels:

1. Practitioner, not theoretician.

2. Tactics, not strategy.

And, those at the lowest local level - just the "little" things.

Now, it so happens that I also subscribe to the theory that the practitioner must interface with the theoretician; and tactics have to interface with strategy. Those interfaces are where I am having a problem.

So, if a Power That Moves Things could oblige, I would like to continue this long-standing discourse elsewhere.

Best to all the discoursers

Mike