The operations there were shaped far more by the simple fact that we had no authorities to do anything other than the things we did. Which is a lesson in itself.
I'm glad that we both learned the same lessons there. Similar constraints have been placed on forces in Iraq as the gov't steps up sovereignty, and I thought that the Phillipines, El Sal, and Colombia would be good examples to use to show how the rules that may seem limiting can actually prove effective over time. IMO, that's one of the biggest issues with the SFA mission and RA in A'stan. We would rather do the mission ourselves instead of waiting for the Afghans to do it.

As I continue to narrow the scope of this thing, yes, it is GWOT intensive, but the examples covered highlight heavy armor units, light units, and SF units working in urban and rural environments. Different units, different terrains, and different missions. I think that will blend well.

The focus will be on company level planning, operations, and decision-making. Some primary questions will probably include:

1. What is a small war?
2. How does an insurgency mobilize, recruit, shape, clear, and hold an area?
3. How do we fight for intelligence to gain an accurate picture of our area of operations?
4. Once we determine the current situation, how do we shape the environment to allow for infiltration?
5. How do we clear the area?
6. How do we hold the area?
7. How do we build the area? Do we buld the area?

I'm not to concerned on specific TTPs and Tactics. Guys will argue all day long on how to clear a house. I want to develop a course that helps teach how to think and provide some examples of how others did business.

As I'm looking at my written notes, this seminar will probably be 10 x 1 hour classes. My timeline is to be ready to start teaching on 1 March. So, as soon as I'm done with the syllabus, I'll post it for y'alls edit.

Check in with the guys in the USASOC Commander's Initiatives Group. You'll find some friends there.
Thanks for the lead. I'd really like to eventually have a joint course b/c we all have a lot to teach each other (as I learned with SF and Seal friends at NPS).

From Wilf:
Obviously the first year of the course would be spent reading Clausewitz
Here's my thoughts and deception plan on getting the guys to read the classics. For my class, my "Break Point" article will be mandatory. It's short and easy to read. Hopefully, a young E6 or 02 will say, "Wow, I learned something from that." or "That #### was happening in my area, and I never saw it." Then, I'll recommend that they take the time to read Robert Andrews "The Village War."

Throughout the seminar, I'll put in quotes from Galula, Sir Robert Thompson, and others. Over time, they may decide to read up on how others tackled the same types of problems over time.

v/r

Mike