Thread: The role of non-African powers in Africa: a discussion

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    We will accord China the respect due a nation of over a billion people, just as we accord India the same respect. Respect and fear are two different things and in our childish way, we tend to react negatively to wagging fingers. Thine, Chine or other...

You do the British a disservice with the coat tail remark. One could almost sense that you were upset over British and US refusal to help in Rhodesia. If so, understandable and certainly your prerogative. Many probably agree with you.
    The world has watched Britain slowly come to terms with her diminished status in the world and seen how she has fallen back on the "special relationship" she has with the US to maintain some degree of dignity befitting her previous status as "Empire". Everyone (intelligent observer) knows that the 'special relationship' was never a partnership of equals but rather one where Britain was no more than a side-kick.

I am not upset about any refusal to help Rhodesia as I was a South African who served in Rhodesia for ideological reasons and not to perpetuate any race dominated social model. We were all quite surprised that the Brit response to UDI was so weak kneed.

But your comment appears to indicate that the transition in Zimbabwe took place because of the failure of US and Brit support. Not at all. It was the US and the UK that installed Mugabe in power in Zimbabwe. Why they even used the Rhodesian SAS to drop the bridges in Zambia to effectively prevent any invasion by Zipra and thereby put ZAPU out of the game leaving the field open to Mugabe. And like in Rwanda both stood back while Mugabe carried out a genocide to settle old tribal scores.

So by 2010 the Brits have come to accept that they are tolerated to work in the shadow of Uncle Sam. The sun had long set on the Empire but it took 50 years for the Brits to accept it.

The US finds itself in the same position now. The only remaining question is how long will it take for the US to realise the China is the new super power?

Now to set the record straight I have only a healthy disrespect for all governments, the US and the UK included. BUT... I have a huge amount of respect for the forces of both. I hope you are intelligent to recognise the difference.
    Last edited by JMA; 04-27-2010 at 01:25 PM.