Thread: What tribal societies can tell us about justice and liberty

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Default Welcome to the forum, Rhonda

I could challenge your characterization of what I said (which was not very much since the post largely referenced your website and other sources). However, my dog is not in this fight, though your dog clearly is.

You stated your position well (in your 21 Apr 2009 article, "JARED DIAMOND’S FACTUAL COLLAPSE: New Yorker Mag’s Papua New Guinea Revenge Tale Untrue, Tribal Members Angry, Want Justice", following the 20 Apr filing of the plaintiffs' summons):

Let this case be a cautionary tale warning others around the world that such "academic" exploitation will no longer be tolerated and will be exposed by the international community, who will stand up along with the victims of such painful lies.
    And indeed, your 10-part series does "stand up" alongside of the two plaintiffs. That is part of your right to publish, which I did not and do not attack.

I am interested in the issue of: to what extent (if any), this case may be affected by NYT-Sullivan 1964 and Time-Hill 1967 and their progeny - and by SCOTUS' grant of cert in Snyder-Phelps (see this post, Some background items). While your case may be a "cautionary tale" to you, it could be considered a "chilling effect" by others.

It will be up to the judge to decide the pre-trial motions; and, if the case be tried, up to the jury to decide whether the plaintiffs should receive $45 million.

Regards

Mike

PS - Marc, beyond reading his two books (Guns and Collapse) and what I've read in the articles I cited in my post, I know nothing of Diamond. And, no, I'm not about to enter the lists to tourney out the merits and demerits of "Environmental determinism, aka climatic determinism or geographical determinism". For me (a non-SME), that would indeed be tilting at windmills. Cheers from South of the Border (despite being well North of you).
    Last edited by jmm99; 05-02-2010 at 06:47 PM.