Guys, understand that General McChrystal must work within the left and right limits set by the Constitution of Afghanistan. Perhaps that is the true box at work here, and when I read through it a couple months ago to better understand some seemingly crazy decisions in regards to governance, I knew we were in trouble. Fear of Militias, I imagine, by both Karzai and the West, drove a document that disconnects the local populace from governance in many ways.

Marjah was not an official District, as such there was no authorizatoin for "governance" to Marjah. So, easy decision, make it a District and gain a Tashkil for governance. But once a region is an official District, the governance is then selected from Kabul and delivered to your doorstep (or not, too often it simply stays in Kabul); owing its complete loyalty and job security back up to those who appointed them (appointments that typically come with payments that must be made).

I'm not sure how one truly overcomes this without fixing the Constitution.

Historically there were local shuras of local elders recognized locally for their positions. There was also a position called the "Khan" who was also selected locally, but recognized by the King offically as well. That blend of local legitimacy and centralized officialness that is sadly missing from today's "box ingredients." McChrystal would be as wrong for trying to fix the current system as Karzai is for keeping it in place.

The goal for Hamkari is two-fold: To achieve representative governance and opportunity. This must be done within the confines of the Constitution; and in the face of many powerful men, not all "Taliban", who have no desire for such equity.