Thread: Who are the great generals?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Norfolk View Post
    General DePuy should not have been largely forgotten, or even ignored, outside of the US. The greatest Combined-Arms thinker of the last generation at least IMO. Funny, it seems the USMC has taken DePuy's teachings on infantry (especially PARFOX) closer to heart than the US Army.
    On a personal note, I am delighted to see your reply. I was a bit taken aback by not having seen his name mentioned earlier; rather surprised. One of the great satisfactions of my life will always be the fact I had the good fortune to serve under him, not once, but twice. The first time as a brand-spanking new infantry 2LT when he was the CO of the 1/30 BG in Germany and he stopped an entire excercise to show me the proper way to assault an enemy position-- his way (... and quite different from what I had just been taught at Fort Benning!!!). The second time was when he placed me in charge of a company in Vietnam. When he was the CG of the 1st Infantry Division, the whole atmosphere was like a re-union. It seemed every officer and senior NCO I ran into there, I had served with in the 30th, from George Joulwan down to squad leaders.

God!, he was a hell-bringer!

Best wishes and thanks for the agreement,
    Fred.

PS-- Tom Odom: if you have not read his work, you are in for some enjoyment when you do. I read the stuff even today, and his small unit movements and formations worked brilliantly. I do not know what's taught today at Benning, but if DePuy's stuff is not, that is a big mistake to me.
    FCW
    Last edited by Fred III; 10-11-2007 at 05:42 PM.