Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
Subutai
Sir, I do not claim any pertinent bona fides in this forum, nor do I consider myself particularly astute in military history. But I must agree that Subutai is an excellent selection. I have a fascination with Mongol history and Subutai is certainly a big figure in it.

My understanding is that Subutai is one of the pioneers of maneuver warfare and was the first to employ tactical artillery during the Battle of Mohi. He was adaptive, quick, ran and utilized extensive intelligence operations, and conquered more territory than any General in history. I understand he was not one for the nightly chivalry of the Europeans that valued personal battlefield honor in a commander, but instead viewed battles from afar directing his forces. My Grandfather once said to me: "Machismo and cajones will only get you so far, in the end it comes down to whats between your ears", which is congruent with what I take from reading about Subutai.

I have read that Subutai was on the verge of assaulting the Holy Roman Empire, which would have claimed the rest of Europe for Pax Mongolica, when he was called back. I can only imagine the effect that would have on the history of the world.