Thread: Cordesman so right, yet so wrong

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Stan wrote:

Appears to be some very interesting topics planned (well, not as much as the 16th CAV )
    I expect so, and oh to be in that room (even as a fly on the wall). On the matter of Strykers in Afghanistan, a paper written by a junior officer in 3PPCLI was publicly posted on their website:

The LAV III in Counter-Insurgency Warfare: Tactical Lessons Learned, by Benjamin J. Richard

This paper describes some of the lessons learned by 2 Platoon, A Coy during Op ARCHER and proposes key advantages of operating with the LAV III in the four blocks of modern warfare: humanitarian assistance operations, peace support operations, warfighting, and psychological operations (PsyOps).

Quote Originally Posted by Norfolk View Post

On the matter of Strykers in Afghanistan, a paper written by a junior officer in 3PPCLI was publicly posted on their website:

The LAV III in Counter-Insurgency Warfare: Tactical Lessons Learned, by Benjamin J. Richard

Thanks, Norfolk ! I found their evaluations in both Humanitarian and Peace Keeping Operations very useful. The Canadians in Rwanda managed to employ 113s and 114s in much the same capacities (save the ability to perform speedy get-aways).

But, my truly favorite use of the LAV must be...

2 Platoon LAV crews quickly discovered that the mud-wall compounds and dwellings found in Afghanistan were easily penetrated by slowly driving through them using a LAV.
    BTW, did you read our thread on Canadians and Kentucky Windage ? Indeed a keeper !

Regards, Stan
    If you want to blend in, take the bus

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    Thanks, Norfolk ! I found their evaluations in both Humanitarian and Peace Keeping Operations very useful. The Canadians in Rwanda managed to employ 113s and 114s in much the same capacities (save the ability to perform speedy get-aways).

BTW, did you read our thread on Canadians and Kentucky Windage ? Indeed a keeper !

Regards, Stan
    Hi Stan!

I stumbled across it a while ago, but sadly didn't take it in then as thoroughly as I should have (I have since rectified the situation). However, my approach did not lack for thoroughness while down in Kentucky at the Maker's Mark Distillery during GW1, though.

But, being prone to having to relearn old lessons (some guys just gotta learn the hard way...), after the Old Man drank my bottle of Jim Beam Black, I was compelled to revisit my security precautions with its replacement (and the Wiser's, whose predecessor likewise departed from my possesssion).

Alas, my current stash has been discovered once again, though its contents remain so far intact. Good thing I have a copy of the old SF caching techniques pub, I think I'm going to need it...

2 Platoon LAV crews quickly discovered that the mud-wall compounds and dwellings found in Afghanistan were easily penetrated by slowly driving through them using a LAV.
    I think that's what's most popular with the LAV (aside from resistance to IEDs), going door-to-door to make house calls. If the occupant accords one a most unsocial welcome, then this refusal of hospitality requires quick remedial action in order to effect a prompt restoration of common courtesy. Thus, the driving of a LAV through the obstinate would-be host's front-door/living-room/kitchen/bedroom, followed up by a double-tap if further remedial action is required to restore civility.

Hmmm, I wonder what the occupant's reaction would be if a Leopard 2 came barreling through his living-room...would that be considered too offensive?

Hmmm, I wonder what the occupant's reaction would be if a Leopard 2 came barreling through his living-room...would that be considered too offensive?
    Hey Norfolk !
    In some parts of Africa, this subtle maneuver was called Gaza Gardens
    But, National Defense has taken all the mystery out of driving Your Own Steel Beast

An overview of the main menu reveals several play options:

* Instant action, where you assume the role of the tank’s gunner.
    * Tutorials, designed to introduce you, step-by-step, into the M1A1 Abrams or German Leopard 2A4 tank.
    * Tank range, where you develop and measure your gunnery skills (you maintain a training record to show your progress).
    * Single or multiplayer roles.
    * Mission editor, allowing you to tailor your mission to a specific set of circumstances, relive an actual battle (i.e. Desert Storm), or
    develop a specific maneuver skill.
    * Map editor, for use in tailoring a mission or replaying a battle.

Council Member

Gaza Gardens?! Hmmm, I wonder what the etymology behind that phrase is? And subtle you say? Marc, some help please?

Ah yes, Steelbeasts...

NOTE TO FILE—CONSTRUCTIVE SIMULATION VERSUS SERIOUS GAMES FOR THE ARMY: A CANADIAN CASE STUDY, by Paul A. Roman and Mr. Doug Brown(Canadian Army Journal, Vol. 10, No. 3, Fall 2007)(my old Battalion, 4RCR had a hand in this, though it was run for the chopper-boys):

After 11 years of conducting exercises in this manner, DLSE supported it’s first serious game based exercise in October of 2006. Exercise WINGED WARRIOR is the culminating activity at the end of the Advanced Tactical Aviation Course, intended to train pilots to perform as aviation mission commanders and air liaison officers. This paper takes a critical look at the similarities and differences between exercises primarily supported by constructive simulation versus those supported by a serious game. It also introduces the concept of a training needs framework, upon which decisions regarding the most appropriate type of tool to support
    a training objective, can be planned.
    Ah, being paid to play video games (and by the Government no less!).

Gaza Gardens?! Hmmm, I wonder what the etymology behind that phrase is? And subtle you say? Marc, some help please?
    Ah yes, Steelbeasts...
    Great post, although not sure if Marc will be able to help you should you decide to drink and drive, especially if you are a Russian tank driver

The Drunk Tank