The response by stinkyjournalism.org to Jared Diamond's article (118 KB in pdf on disc) does not spare the horses, or in the article's context - the pigs (2748 KB on disc in its 10-part attack on Diamond - and, yes, I read all 10).

That output does not include Stinky's 21 Apr 2009 special report, Jared Diamond’s Factual Collapse: New Yorker Mag’s Papua New Guinea Revenge Tale Untrue, Tribal Members Angry, Want Justice (492 KB in pdf on disc), which was essentially a press release on the $10 million lawsuit filed (via a summons) on 20 Apr 2009 by Henep Isum Mandingo and Hup Daniel Wemp. The plaintiffs appeared "pro se", by themselves, no attorney of record. The two PNG citizens certainly cannot be termed primitive from the wording in the summons - "libel per se" and "inter alia" evince their background in Latin legalese.

Lack of attorneys was soon corrected. The latest substance I found via a quick search was this 8 Feb 2010 blog quote from Forbes, Papua New Guineans raise damages demand in libel suit to $45 million; "Preppie Murder" lawyer Jack Litman takes on case.

On account of The New Yorker's portrayal of him, Daniel Wemp claims he is in hiding and fears for his life. A 30-page amended complaint filed Friday in New York State Supreme Court contends that a story in the magazine about tribal violence in Papua New Guinea generated such anger toward Wemp among his fellow tribesmen that he can't return to his highlands village or hold a job.
.... Filed by Wemp's new lawyer, Jack Litman, who represented Robert Chambers in the infamous "Preppie Murder" case, the amended complaint raises the demand for damages to some $45 million from an initial $10 million in the original suit filed in last April. [JMM Note: since Jack Litman died 23 Jan 2010, NYT obit, after a long illness, his personal involvement seems questionable. The explanation is that the amended complaint was dated 21 Sep 2009 and filed 16 Oct 2009 by Richard Asche, Litman's partner - as reported by Katie Rolnick, Stinkyjournalism.org, Jared Diamond, The New Yorker Deny All: New Guinea Tribesmen Wemp and Mandingo File Amended Libel Lawsuit] ....
The suit is based on a 40,000-word study on The New Yorker story by Rhonda Roland Shearer, director of the New York City-based Art Science Research Lab, which runs a media ethics project dubbed stinkyjournalism.org. ....
Perhaps I'm growing far too skeptical in my old age; but after placing the 10-part series in context (as I tend to view things as a lawyer), I felt I was reading a 10-part brief for the plaintiffs.

Regards

Mike