Within a short article reviewing the growth of the DHS In New Mexico. centred around Albuquerque, are some comments by Tom Ridge, ex-DHS head, which I have not seen before:
The last thing in the world you want is a Department of Homeland Security involved in a day-to-day basis with traditional and state and local law enforcement. It’s not their role or their function, unless it’s related to terrorist activity.
On "fusion centres":
I think fusion centers are a great idea. I think the proliferation of fusion centers makes no sense. My vision then was to start with building fusion centers that covered four or five states for all hazards, natural weather events and law enforcement sharing. They’ve gone much beyond that. It would be foolish to build that capacity and limit it exclusively to dealing with terrorism..
APD's deputy responded the rejected the notion that DHS has become too involved in local policing:
I don’t believe they are taking on too active of a role. We are collaborating with HSI as a force multiplier and we are sharing resources.
Link:http://www.abqjournal.com/390807/new...uparmored.html