The MarCorps 13 man squad, 1943-1962, had three BARs. From 1962 until 1964-5, it had three standard M-14s which were equipped with the full auto selector capability in lieu of the supposed to be issued M-15, a heavy barrel, permanent bipod M-14 with selective fire but which proved to be no better in the role than the full auto standard M-14s.

That led to the M-14E2 which later became the M-14A1(LINK). They were issued starting in 63-64 but weren't in place everyhwere prior to the replacement of the M-14 by the M-16.

Then in the mid 60s, the M-79 Grenadier working for the Squad Leader was introduced and shortly thereafter, depending on where you were in the world, the M-16 was issued, replacing the M-14s. No dedicated auto weapon other than the M-16appeared between then and introduction of the M-249 SAW. I heard some idiots even insisted that when in formation, the designated AR man must have had the removable M-16 Bipod (LINK) affixed to the weapon.

Initially, each M-16 issued came with the Bipod. That didn't last long.

The M-14E2 /M-14A1 suffered from a weak stock at the wrist and a too-light barrel which would rapidly overheat so no one really cried when it left.

Since Sam's 1970s book amuses Stan, I guess it's a good thing I gave all my 40s stuff to the Library, huh...