Quote Originally Posted by JMA View Post
As I suggested earlier it may all be in the semantics.
Not that (3), I agree with that. It's a feature of this discussion.
I tend to shy away from the word 'questions' because it may be construed as order being 'questioned'.
See? That's just being finicky and over semantically involved.
There is a big difference between in combat and during training for combat.
That (1). The difference should be as slight as one can make it. I agree with the rest of that thought. Particularly this:
It is in this period of training for war that you allow troops to seek clarity, to discuss drills and tactics and reach a level where they understand what is expected of them and the possible tactical options that they will be required to take part in.
However, this is a reversion to semantics:
(note: no use of the word 'question'.)
We each had / have a choice, I never object to questions, the more nervous types often do.
Once you cock your weapon and head out the time for seeking clarity is over. You just do as you are damn well told.
That (2). I certainly did not always do that and I rather doubt you did either. That, frankly is dangerous and just wrong. Things change and you have to adapt. You cannot ask for thinking Officers and NCOs -- and other ranks -- on the one hand then ask for robot like total compliance on the other; you can't have it both ways (I'd also note we're back to that trust thingy... ).

In 1966 in Viet Nam, I was unfortunately * attached to Dave Hackworth, then an Acting Bn Cdr, at one time. He gave me a mission using the Platoon of which I was the acting PL and I said "Yes, Sir" then went about it in a totally different manner than the way he had over directed be employed. He was afterwards quite torqued but couldn't say or do much but grumble because we had been successful and had no casualties. Aside from that incident I have many, many times disregarded orders, in peace and in combat, and done so with variations from very slight to totally ignoring and turning off my radio. I strongly encourage anyone who thinks to do the same. YMMV.

* He blustered and boasted a lot, bluffed -- poorly -- a lot...