Quote Originally Posted by Ulenspiegel View Post
Starting with post ~95 you criticised some suggestions as too time-consuming, esp. the very long time an officer of the Reichwehr would stay in the ranks of Leutnant/Oberleutnant in the time 1919-1932.

This allowed them to gain a lot of theoretical knowledge, gave them the opportunity to learn how to teach, and the time to train with the troops, usually at least one stint in a different branch.

Haupmann v. Schell refers to this generation of officers, when he made the statement you cite, therefore, my confusion.
You will have to give me the exact quote.

'Learn how to teach'? Von Schell talks of the US focus on teaching or being taught. The problem he identified then is the lack of time to 'exercise' with a unit in the field. The assumption is that when a person completes a course he has that skill.

What I am saying is that the skill is not mastered until it is exercised in as near to a war time setting as can be simulated... repeatedly.

Again I suggest any misunderstanding we may appear to have is through the choice of words.

BTW another gem of a book is 'Hans Von Luck - Panzer Commander - The Memoirs of Colonel Hans von Luck'.